Can Tho province is known as the most popular destination of Mekong Delta due to its special tourist attractions and its smiling and welcoming locals. Thanks to its tremendously fertile soil, Can Tho is not only seen as Vietnam’s rice basket but also referred as the home of many orchards and tropical fruit farms. And hence, tourists are very easy to catch sight of these goods in the floating markets dotted around the provincial capital.
It is known as a labyrinthine of canals in Mekong Delta, and thus it contributes to develop the waterway transport system and to form the special customs of the locals here. The practice of trading goods in the floating markets stands out as the image representing the tourism in this area. Cai Rang floating market may be the most prominent one that stands out into tourists’ mind (compared with Phong Dien floating market, Cai Be floating market, My Tho floating market)
Located on Cai Rang River, this floating market is 6 km away from the center of Can Tho City (to be seen as the capital of Mekong Delta), and about 30 minutes away from Ninh Kieu wharf by boat. Although road traffic system has developed significantly these days, Cai Rang floating market keeps growing and brings value in terms of culture, economy, tourism to the country as a whole and the locals in particular.
There is no doubt that the first impression of Cai Rang floating market that left on everyone is its extremely lively and crowded trading atmosphere. You will for sure feel great awe for the smooth performances of traders juggling fruits boat to boat. Especially, in the middle of such a bustling trading scene, you will find somehow strangely comfortable moments of the rustic lifestyle and the cool breeze in the early morning.
No surprisingly, Cai Rang floating market is known as the main trading centre of Mekong Delta where the locals gather here to sell and buy a wide range of products with reasonable price catering to their daily lives and tourists. A countless number of boats and sampans stay here and make the whole area more lively and stunning than ever. Do not miss your chance to try many kinds of fresh fruit such as rambutan, mangosteen, mango, durian, pineapple…
To say nothing of having interesting experience while vising the floating market, because trading activities get started in the early morning, there are so many a floating restaurant serving to both sellers and shoppers.
– To travel to Cai Rang floating market, you first need to go to Can Tho city, after that take a taxi or a motorbike taxi to Ninh Kieu wharf (you can buy boat tickets here). Make sure to go there early!
– Or to make it easier, you can book a tour. Do not hesitate to contact us to find dozens of tours available tailored for you.
Joining Cai Rang Floating Market tour 2 days 1 night: From 3.315.000VND(~144.3 USD)
Children From 5 to 10 yrs): 2.665.000VND(~115.7 USD)
– Room includes bed (with mattress), mosquito net, fan, table and
chairs, electrical lights and outlets… and a lovely window or balcony.
– Outhouse is equipped with a clean, flushing toilet.
– 08:00am Pick guests up at hotels (city center); drive to a local village.
– Upon arrival, We board a motor-boat and cruise along a vast network of
canals and channels to enjoy wonderful views of the Mekong River.
– In your visits to some local cottage industries you can see a coconut candy
workshop, try some snake wine, learn how to make pop-rice, or witness the
process of making rice paper.
– We move to one of the island, here we visit a tropical fruit garden, listen to
Vietnamese traditional music, and slowly enjoy getting in touch with local
life by taking a hand-rowing sampan.
– Lunch is served at a riverside restaurant with 5-course Vietnamese food.
– Drive to Can Tho, the capital city of Mekong Delta. Upon arrival, we check
in to a rustic home stay. Take a rest and enjoy a peaceful time within the
– 07:00am Get up early; then have breakfast before taking a motor-boat along
the river to Cai Rang floating market, the largest its kind, where colorful
boats carrying juicy fruits and vegetables gather for daily exchanging.
– We continue the cruise and walk on a quite country road to take in the
magnificent scenery and get close to the residents as they go about their daily
routines. Visit a flea market, a noodle factory, and tropical fruit gardens like
papaya, mango, pineapple…
– Spend a short time for cycling around the village will give you a fantastic
way to experience local life. Lunch is served at a local restaurant in Can Tho
or on the way back to Sai Gon.
– Tour ends at your hotel in Sai Gon.
Wonderful time! Tour guide (Canh) was very knowledgeable and funny. Felt good that the tour helps local families in the Mekong without causing any destruction. Our small group rode bikes through the village and the locals all waved at us. Beautiful sights, great fresh food and a good time overall.